Halloween Hazards for your pets

Here are some top tips on keeping your pet safe this Halloween.

Costume caution

That pug in the pumpkin outfit may be cute, but make sure it’s safe. Costumes with parts that could be chewed off and swallowed do present a hazard, as do those that could limit the pet’s vision or breathing and those with belts, strings and other potential entanglements. A good rule of thumb is to keep it simple and never leave a costumed pet unsupervised.

Decoration disasters

It’s best to keep all decorations, especially any with electrical cords, out of reach of pets. Be sure lit candles and pumpkins cannot be knocked over by your pets.

Candy no-no’s

Chocolate is toxic to dogs, cats and birds. As little as 1 ounce of baking chocolate or 8 ounces of milk chocolate can kill a 10-pound dog. Xylitol, commonly found in sugar-free candies and gum, is also deadly to pets. Make sure your pets can’t get into the candy and seek emergency medical treatment if they do.